CFA Design Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do applications need to be post-marked by the deadline?
All applications must be submitted both electronically and in hardcopy and both versions of the complete application must be received March 15th by 5:00pm EST on the due date in order to be considered. No exceptions. Refer to the Submission Instructions section for further details.
2. Can I hand-deliver my application?
Applicants who are in the New York area may hand-deliver their complete application to the Center for Architecture. Hand-delivered submissions should be addressed in the following manner:
Center for Architecture Foundation
ATTN: CFA Design Application - Applicant’s Last Name
Click here for directions to the Center for Architecture.
3. Is it possible to extend the deadline based on personal extenuating circumstances?
All applications must be received by the due date in order to be reviewed. No exceptions.
4. Do letters of recommendation need to arrive by the deadline?
5. Can letters of recommendation be sent separately from the application?
Applicants are strongly advised to mail complete applications (application, a portfolio and two letters of recommendation) in one package. Letter of recommendation may be sent separately, either electronically and in hardcopy. Refer to the Submissions Instructions section for further details.
6. Can the letters of recommendation be emailed?
Yes, letters of recommendation must be emailed. Refer to the Submissions Instructions for addressing instructions.
7. What is the schedule of notification?
Applicants will be notified by the end of May.
8. Is it possible to review the submissions of past recipients?
It is not possible to review the submissions of past recipients. It is possible to view the portfolios of Past Scholarship Recipients.
9. Does the Center for Architecture sponsor individual students pursuing an architectural education in need of financial aid?
The Center for Architecture supports students through our scholarship program. At this time it is not possible for the Center to give financial aid above and beyond this program.
10. I am a high school student seeking scholarships for an undergraduate degree in architecture. Am I eligible for the CFA Design Scholarship?
No, in order to be considered for the CFA Design Scholarship, applicants must be nominated by the Dean or Chair of the Architecture program they are currently attending.
11. I am applying to an architecture program at a school in New York State. Am I eligible for the CFA Design scholarship?
No, in order to be considered for the CFA Design Scholarship, an applicant must be nominated by the Dean or Chair of the Architecture program the applicant is currently attending.
12. I am a graduate architecture student, but my undergraduate degree is not in architecture. Am I eligible for the CFA Design scholarship?
Yes, graduate students are eligible as long as the applicant’s undergraduate, professional degree is in a field other than their professional graduate degree. Applicants must be working towards their first professional degree in the field.
13. Do applicants need to submit documentation of financial need?
No, financial need is determined by the Dean or Chair who nominates you.
14. Does the Dean or Chair need to mention a student’s financial need in the nomination letter?
The Dean or Chair is not required to address a student’s financial need in the nomination letter. However, the Dean or Chair should only nominate students that have a demonstrated financial need. They should confer with the Fianancial Aid Office at their school if necessary.
15. Does the Dean or Chair need to write a letter of recommendation in addition to nominating each of the three students?
The Dean or Chair must write a letter of recommendation for each student he or she nominates. This letter of recommendation will be act as the formal nomination.
16. Can applicants submit an electronic portfolio that is more than 5 MB?
Applicants must submit a portfolio in PDF format that does not exceed on 5 MB. Applicants may choose to submit an additional version of their portfolio as a PDF that is larger than 5 MB. PDFs that exceed 5 MB must be zipped.
17. Are students in their final year of school eligible to apply?
No, students must have at least one year left of school.
Do you have a question that is not answered here?